Chimpanzee trekking in Uganda.
Chimpanzee trekking is an adventurous and exciting activity in Uganda that allows visitors to counter the fascinating primates within their natural habitat. Chimpanzees can be found in several national parks but chimp trekking is done in Kibale, Kyambura gorge, Kalinzu and Budongo forest. Chimpanzee trekking destinations are explained as below,
- Kibale national park.
Kibale national park is located in western part of Uganda, a renowned place for diverse rainforests and a haven for primates housing over 13 species including 1450 chimpanzees, colobus monkeys, grey checked mangabey and olive baboons. Kibale national park offers opportunities for guided primate tracking and habituation as well as bird watching with an array of birds.
- Kyambura Gorge.
Commonly known as the ‘’Valley of Apes’’, this is a captivating chimpanzee destination located within Queen Elizabeth national park in Western Uganda. Visitors to Kyambura gorge get chance to encounter and trek habituated chimpanzees as they learn about their natural behaviors and interactions. The gorge is also home to other primate species like black and white colobus monkeys, and olive baboons.
- Kalinzu forest.
Kalinzu forest is found in western Uganda a recognized home of primates especially chimpanzees. The reserve offers visitors to engage in guided chimp raking allowing them witness these fascinating primates in their natural habitat. You are able to take on a guided walk through the forest and observe their behaviors, social interactions and their distinctive vocalizations.
- Budongo forest.
Budongo forest is a notable physical feature located in the northwestern part of Uganda known for its significant chimpanzee population. The forest is part of the large Murchison falls conservation area and is considered one of the most important chimpanzee habitants in east Africa. You are able to engage in chimp tracking experiences that allows you track and observe these primates in their natural environment. Budongo forest provides a captivating and immersive opportunity for those interested in encountering chimpanzees amidst the richness of a tropical forest eco system.
Chimpanzee Habituation in Kibale National Park and Budongo Forest.
Chimpanzee habituation in kibale national park and Budongo forest involves gradually acclimating wild chimps to the presence of humans. The activity is done by tourists and researchers who spend extended periods of time near these primates allowing them become accustomed to human observers. This process helps gather valuable data on primate behavior, social interactions and ecology.
Habituation starts in the morning with a short briefing on how to behave while in the presence of chimpanzees, you are allowed to be with the chimps for a whole day as you learn and get exposed about their behaviors.
Chimpanzee trekking list.
- Long sleeved shirts and trousers
- Hiking boots
- Hat and sunglasses to protect you from the sun
- Insect repellent
- Camera with zoom lenses
- Water poof back pack
- Water proof jacket
- First aid kit
- Extra batteries and power banks
- Packed food and water for refreshment
- Necessary documents.
- hiking stick.
Chimpanzee trekking rules and regulations.
- Do not eat or drink in the presence of chimapnzees.
- Trackers are only allowed to be with chimpanzees for one hour
- Minimum age for participants is 15 years
- Only 8 people are allowed to participate in traking experience
- Sick visitors are not allowd to track or be around chimpanzees.
- Alwas keep a distance of 7 meters away from the chimpanzees.
- Trackers are advised to alwas follow guidelines given by guids.
- You are not alowd to smoke in the presence of chimps.
- Every group of eight is supposed t be accompanied by an experienced guide who has knowledge about these primates
- You are not allowed to chase chipanzees as they might turn aggressive
- You ae advised to always kep your voie at a low rate
- Do not leave or dump rubbish in the forest
- You are not allowed to provoke the chimps
- You are not allowed to try feeding these primates
- Trackers with flue, cough or rlated colds are not allowed to track chimps.
- You are advised to arrive eay moning and start your acking with a briefing session
- Always stay in your groups and don’t get excited when you encounter cimps
- You are not allowed to ease yourself near the presene of primaes, you ca only ease yourself and burry your tissues 30cm deep with a tissue.
- 3 days Uganda Gorilla Tour
- 5 Days Flying Gorilla Trekking Safari
- 6 Days Uganda Safari
- 7 Days Uganda Primates Trekking Safari
- 10 Days Uganda Wildlife And Primates Safari
- 10 Days Uganda Primate Tracking safari
- 12 Days Combined Rwanda Uganda Safari
- 13 Days Uganda fly-in safari & primate trekking
- 14 Days Uganda Safari